Sunday, March 6, 2011

"Friendship is like pissing in your pants..."

"Friendship is like pissing in your pants.  Everyone can see it, but only you can feel its true warmth."

 Second Life has a way, sometimes, of making people seem disposable.  I don't know if it's because there are so many people constantly around.  Or, maybe it's because all you see are pixels and the people behind them get forgotten.  Or, maybe it's just because this is the way our world culture is "progressing".  Whatever the reason, it seems that holding onto friendships in SL is harder than RL.  To some, this means that they don't even try to make true connections with people.  To others, it means that when you find someone that your heart reaches out to, you try your best to keep them close.

If the truth be told, I'm not the easiest person to get close to.  I'm easy to be an acquaintance to, but a true friend to me is more than just a couple of shopping trips, clubbing adventures or going to newbie places to mess with the newcomers.  Friendship to me is precious.  It's sacred.  It's almost like G-d's way of giving me a helping hand during the rough times and someone to celebrate with in the best times. They're my confidants when I need a safe place to talk about something that I don't want the entire world to know.  They're my biggest cheerleaders and my best critics.  A true friend to me is someone that will lift me up while still keeping me grounded.

I strive everyday to be the same for them.  That's not easy for me and I know that I'm not successful everyday.  I tend to lose myself in the latest project I get involved in or isolate myself on my little build platform as I futz with some idea I have.  That doesn't mean that I love them any less, it just means I need to try harder to be there for them as they've been there for me.  And, I hope that, even on the days when I'm not successful, they know that I love them and they're in my thoughts.
 
To my dearest friends, I say, "Thank you for being there for me and loving me.  Thank you for keeping me close and allowing me to be exactly who I am with you."

1 comment:

  1. Carter, you're one of my dearest friends. You've always been wonderful, kind and loving towards me. You're forever in my heart...xoxoxoxox

    ReplyDelete